Pay Reduction

Can my employer reduce my pay?
Yes, but there may be consequences, and you may be entitled to unemployment compensation. If your employer reduces your pay – for any reason – this may be considered a demotion, even if your actual job duties and responsibilities remain the same.  If this happens and you quit because of the reduction in your pay, you may be entitled to receive unemployment benefits. Simply because you quit, however, does not mean that you are automatically entitled to receive unemployment.  Before you leave your job, in order to be entitled to collect unemployment for the reduction in your wages, you must (1) tell your employer that you are unhappy about the reduction in your wages; and (2) seek a remedy (for example the difference in the wages) through whatever means are available before you leave your employment.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us Today


I worked for a retailer and was a Plaintiff in a class action for unpaid overtime wages. Hayber, McKenna & Dinsmore did an amazing job of getting our unpaid overtime back to us. Every one at the firm that I dealt with through that process was wonderful to work with. I appreciate all they did for us more than you will ever know.
- L. LeHeup, Georgia