False Information in Personnel File

Can my employer report something false in my personnel file? 


 No.  If your employer does this, you can ask to have the statement corrected or removed from your personnel file.If your employer won’t take out or correct the statement, you may submit your own “explanatory statement” giving your side of the story.  Your statement must stay with the personnel file.

See Conn. Gen. Stat. § 31-128e.

Also, you may have a case against your employer for defamation.  If your employer knew that the statement that it put in your personnel file was false, or was reckless in determining whether the statement was false, then it may be liable for defamation.  If you lost your job because of the false statement, then you may be able to collect back pay in addition to compensation for damage to your professional reputation.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us Today


I worked for a retailer and was a Plaintiff in a class action for unpaid overtime wages. Hayber, McKenna & Dinsmore did an amazing job of getting our unpaid overtime back to us. Every one at the firm that I dealt with through that process was wonderful to work with. I appreciate all they did for us more than you will ever know.
- L. LeHeup, Georgia