My employer won’t give me a W-2 form so that I can do my taxes. What do I do?

Employers must provide employees with a W-2 form if the employee was paid more than $600 in the year in question; and Income, social security, or Medicare tax was withheld (or would have been withheld if the employee had not claimed exemption). Employers have until January 31, 2015 to provide you with a W-2 for the preceding year. In fact, employers may be subject to a $50 penalty for each W-2 that it fails to send out on time.

If you don’t get your W-2 on time, you are not excused from filing your own income tax return on time. You should contact your employer to make sure it has the correct contact information, and if the form is still not forthcoming, you may want to contact the IRS itself. Visit there is a form available to substitute for a W-2, called a Form 4852.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us Today


I worked for a retailer and was a Plaintiff in a class action for unpaid overtime wages. Hayber, McKenna & Dinsmore did an amazing job of getting our unpaid overtime back to us. Every one at the firm that I dealt with through that process was wonderful to work with. I appreciate all they did for us more than you will ever know.
- L. LeHeup, Georgia