Northampton, MA Sexual Harassment Attorney
At Hayber, McKenna & Dinsmore, LLC, our Northampton, MA sexual harassment attorneys are experienced and passionate advocates for employee rights. Our mission is to provide top-quality legal representation to clients. If you or your family member was a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace, we are here to help. To schedule a strictly confidential consultation with an experienced Massachusetts employment lawyer, please call our Northampton office at (413) 341-3639 or contact us directly online.
What is Sexual Harassment?
Employees deserve a safe and fair workplace that is free from discrimination or harassment. Unfortunately, sexual harassment remains a serious problem in workplaces in Massachusetts and throughout the country. As explained by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), sexual harassment is, by definition, a form of sex-based discrimination. It occurs when an employee is subject to unwelcome and/or inappropriate behavior of a sexual nature. Workplace sexual harassment can take a wide range of different forms, including:
- Inappropriate sexual jokes;
- Requests for sexual favors;
- Verbal sexual harassment; and
- Physical sexual harassment.
Steps to Take If You are Being Sexual Harassed in the Workplace in Northampton
Employees in Massachusetts are protected against sexual harassment under both state and federal law. Beyond that, you have the right to report sexual harassment without fear of being punished by your company or organization. Here are four steps to take if you were the victim of workplace sexual harassment in Northampton:
- Make it clear that you are uncomfortable with the inappropriate behavior and ask the perpetrator(s) to stop;
- Report the sexual harassment to your supervisor or to the HR department;
- Keep detailed notes regarding what happened and the adverse impact it had on you and your family; and
- Consult with an experienced Northampton, MA sexual harassment lawyer.
Sexual Harassment: Know Your Legal Remedies
Employers have a legal obligation to provide employees with a safe environment. If you were the victim of a hostile work environment or if you were retaliated against for reporting sexual harassment, you have legal options available. Depending on the nature of your case, remedies to sexual harassment may include:
- Reinstatement into your previous position;
- Other benefits you were wrongfully denied;
- Payment of back pay and other damages;
- Restitution for medical costs, including mental health services;
- Financial compensation for emotional distress; and
- Legal costs, including attorneys’ fees.
Sexual harassment claims are highly fact specific cases. If you were the victim of harassment in the workplace, it is important to consult with an experienced Northampton sexual harassment attorney as soon as possible. Our attorneys provide reliable, personalized legal advocacy to employees throughout Massachusetts.
Call Our Northampton Sexual Harassment Lawyer for Immediate Help
At Hayber, McKenna & Dinsmore, LLC, our Massachusetts sexual harassment attorneys are compassionate, experienced advocates for employees. We will protect your rights. For a completely private initial consultation, please contact our Northampton law office at (413) 341-3639. We represent employees in Northampton and throughout the surrounding communities in Hampshire County, including in Easthampton, Amherst, Hadley, and Belchertown.