What Can I Do If My Employer Cuts My Hours or My Pay?

In some circumstances, you can voluntarily leave your job and still get unemployment benefits.  The employer must change the circumstances of your employment in a significant way.  This change must relate to wages, hours, or working conditions; or the change must breach your employment agreement in an important way (if you have one).  If the change puts your health at risk, you may also be entitled to unemployment benefits if you quit.  Visit the Department of Labor website to learn more.

However, as soon as you learn of these changes, you must inform your employer immediately and try to fix the problem.  If you quit under these types of circumstances, you must be able to prove to the DOL that you had “good cause attributable to the employer” and that you tried to remedy the problem.  As always, be sure to document every communication and keep all documents provided to you!


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us Today


I worked for a retailer and was a Plaintiff in a class action for unpaid overtime wages. Hayber, McKenna & Dinsmore did an amazing job of getting our unpaid overtime back to us. Every one at the firm that I dealt with through that process was wonderful to work with. I appreciate all they did for us more than you will ever know.
- L. LeHeup, Georgia